The Origin of the Beukendaal Fire Department
During World War II, many residents of Glenville Gardens, Sacandaga and Spring Road were active in the various civilian defense services; including the Auxiliary Fire Function. During this time, the need for a permanent fire protection service for the area became clear.
These auxiliary firemen formed Beukendaal Fire Department. During March of 1944, twenty-five residents of the area met in the Glenville town offices to form a fire department.
On July 7th, 1947; the State of New York approved the boundaries of the fire district and the district was incorporated on June 1st, 1948.
The name Beukendaal is a historic name familiar to the residents of Glenville and Scotia. It is a Dutch word, meaning “Beechdale”.
The Beukendaal area in colonial times was 2 miles northwest of the Village of Scotia, off of Sacandaga Road near Hardins Crossing, in the town of Glenville. Here is where the DeGraff House stood. On July 8th, 1748, forty members of the Schenectady Militia fought off a French and Indian raiding party. The modern firehouse stands 300 yards from the DeGraff house.
For this reason, it seems fitting that the fire company bear this historic tittle. The fire company adopted the name “Beukendaal Fire Department” at the company is fifth meeting in July of 1944.
The first meetings of the department were held in the Glenville Town Offices in Scotia. Later meetings were held in the Friendly Social Club. Meetings were subsequently moved to the Beukendaal school District #10 until 1950 when the Firehouse on Sacandagga Road at the bottom of Spring Road was opened. Dedication ceremonies were held in 1951. An additional renovation occurred in 1982. Construction of the new building was started in 2015, being built to last 100 years with many new improvements in efficiency and in safety.
The department has had 12 pieces of equipment over the years. The original apparatus was a civilian defense trailer mounted pump.
In 1949, an American LaFrance pumper made in 1928 was purchased and was used as the company’s piece of apparatus until it was replaced was a 1938 model Ahrens Fox 500-gallon pumper. In 1951, a 1300 gallon Donges Tank truck was purchased.
The following are the rest of the departments apparatus over the years.
|1954 Ward LaFrance||Pumper||252|
|1956 Ward LaFrance||Pumper||253|
|1973 Chevrolet Step Van||Medical||254|
|1977 Ward LaFrance||Pumper||252|
|2001 Sonic Jet||Boat||291|
|2002 Blazer||Asst Chief||257|
|2004 Central States||Engine||252|
|2009 Tahoe||Asst Chief||258|
At first the Beukendaal Fire Department was organized to provide fire protection, but over time it grew to also includes an allied social organization with its own set of officers. This social group governs the social activity of the fire department.
Chiefs Over the Years
|William Riddle||1969, 1980|
|Jeffrey noonan||1974, 1983,1985|
|Michael Conley||1988-1990, 1992-1995|
Honorary Life Members
|James Christopher||John Featino||Kenneth Hitchcock||George Knowlson|
|Charles Mowers||William Riddle||Robert Renus||Willard Bailey|
|Robert Rockwell||Paul Welah||Edmund Myers||Michael Keefe|
|John Brooks||Robert Bylins||Fred Valentino||Richard Conley|
|Robert McPhail||Donald Lapoint||Michael Guy||Marty Bailey|
|Jeffrey McPhail||Lawrence Colleton||Joshua Walter|
Members Who Have Had Their Last Alarm
|Thomas Shea||Stanley Marnowski||Joe Morette||George Kristal||George Knowlson|
|Donald Shea||James MacCracken||Louis Feight||Armand Dorazio||Robert Renus|
|Arvin Wallin||Fred Elenrieder||William Spancer||James Cristopher||Fred Valentino|
|Wm J Eckerson Jr||Gordon Streeter||Harlen Barney||Jay Woods||Donald Lapoint|
|Charley Hedden||Les Uttberg||Barney Revellia||Kenneth Hitchcock||Charles Mowers|
|Eric Habel||Floyd Lewis||Harold Jones||John Festino||Robery McPhail|
Widows of Deceased Members
|Jean Renus||Carmel Dorazio||Debbie Lapoint||Bordie Valentino||Pat McPhail|
|Dorothy Christopher||Jeannette Lamp||Dorothy MacCracken|