The History of the Beukendaal Fire Department
During WW2, many residents of the Glenville Gardens, Sacandaga and Spring Rd areas were active in the various civilian defense services, including the Auxiliary Fire Function. During that period, the need was apparent for permanent fire protection in the area.
The name Beukendaal is a historical term quite familiar to the residents of Glenville, Scotia, and Schenectady. It is a Dutch word, meaning “Beechdale”
The Beukendaal area in colonial times was located 2 miles northwest of the Village of Scotia, just off Sacandaga Road, north of the Hardins Crossing, in the Town of Glenville. Upon this site stood the DeGraff House where on July 8, 1748, some forty members of the Schenectady Militia fought off a French and Indian raiding party. The DeGraff house stood some 300 yards from where the Firehouse now stands. The Beukendaal (Beechdale) area covers a vast area of the fire district
It is therefore fitting that the fire company bear this historic title. The adoption of the name “Beukendaal Fire Department ” Took place at the fifth meeting of the company July 1944
The Beukendaal Fire Department was first organized to provide fire protection, but now furnishes allied social activity for the members, families, and guests in addition. A set of Social Officers headed by a President, govern the social activity of the fire department.
The department was first organized in March 1944 and operated under the civilian defense organization for some time. For approximately three years, the department as an unofficial district until July 7, 1947 when the State of New York approved the boundaries of the district. The district was incorporated on June 1, 1948.
In January of 1997 the Rectors Volunteer Fire Department closed its doors and merged with the Beukendaal Volunteer Fire Department, extending the district to the west and ending at the Montgomery County Line.
The first ever Chief and President for the Beukendaal Fire Department was a gentleman by the name of William A. Roy. He was also one of the original 25 members that got the ball rolling to form the fire department. William Roy also served the district at one time as the Chairman of the Board of Fire Commissioners.
Since it was organized, the department had had 12 pieces of equipment. A civilian defense trailer mounted pump constituted the original apparatus.
In 1949 an American LaFrance (1928) pumper was purchased and served as the company’s equipment until it was replaced by a 1938 model Ahrens Fox 500 gallon pumper. A 1300 gallon Dodge Tank truck was added in 1951. SInce then there have been 11 other pieces of apparatus purchased, not included are the inherited from the Rectors merger.
* 1954 Ward LaFrance Pumper 252 Retired
* 1956 Ward LaFrance Pumper 252 Retired
* 1965 International Grass 251 Retired
* 1973 Chevrolet Step Van Medical 254 Retired
* 1977 Ward LaFrance Pumper 252 Retired
* 1978 Pierce Medical 254 Retired
* 1991 E.E.I. Pumper 253
* 1994 GMC Utility 251
* 2000 GMC Utility 254
* 1996 International Heavy Rescue 293
* 2001 Sonic Jet Boat 291
* 2005 Central States Pumper 252
The first meeting of the department were held in the Glenville Town Offices on Mohawk Avenue. Later meetings were held in the Friendly Social Club. Meetings were subsequently moved to the Beukendaal School District # 10 until 1950 when the Fire Station on Sacandaga Road at the bottom of Spring Road, was opened. Dedication ceremonies were held in 1951. In 1982 a dedication was held to officially open the current addition, which is used as a hall and for Company Meetings and Training.
With the merger of the Rectors Fire Department, the station located on Amsterdam Road (RT. # 5) is now used for training session and drills.